MEI uses BigBlueButton to deliver much of its online professional development and tuition.
Below is some help with connecting to the online classroom for the first time as well as some advice if you are having problems.
If you are using BigBlueButton as a moderator, further support is provided for you in the BBB Users area in the Tutors section in 2017 Integral. Please contact your course coordinator if you do not have access to this area on Integral.
Before your first use of the online classroom you will need to allow some time to ensure that you can access the correct room and that you have viewed the guidance videos.
Most users will access BigBlueButton via their course in our resource site, Integral. If you have not received details of your Integral course, please contact the course leader or administrator or the person who has arranged your meeting for further support.
Please take the time view these two short videos before your first session:
BigBlueButton is designed to be used on a laptop or desktop, ideally running either Chrome or Firefox as the browser.
Full system requirements:
1. For computer, you need a laptop or desktop computer with (at least) 2G of memory and a 1Ghz processor (any computer bought in the last four years should be fine). BigBlueButton does not run on a mobile or tablet (though we are working on a mobile client).
2. For bandwidth, you must have at least 0.5 Mbits/second upstream and 1 Mbits/second downstream (check bandwidth using speedtest.net).
3. For browsers, we recommend Google Chrome (Flash is built-in) or Mozilla FireFox. You can also use Internet Explorer and Safari, but you’ll get better audio using Chrome and FireFox via WebRTC.
4. For audio, we strongly recommend using a headset. A headset will ensure that others can hear your voice clearly and you don’t cause echo or background noise for others. You do not need to buy an expensive one -- any basic headset with a built-in microphone will suffice.
5. If you have a firewall, the BigBlueButton client running with your browser needs to connect to an external server on ports TCP/IP ports 80, 443, 1935 and UDP ports 16384-32768.
Live sessions cannot currently be accessed via a mobile device (an app is in development for this). You can, however, watch recordings from your course on a mobile device via a browser. Your tutor will advise you on where you can find these and when they will be available.
If you cannot find a solution to your problem anywhere above, please contact [email protected] including information about your browser, operating system, the course you are trying to access and the tutor and any details of the problem, ideally including screens shots or error messages. Please copy your course tutor in to this message.